10/01/2013 Neil Tallim Add Comment
Uncategorized blog, code
06/13/2010 Neil Tallim Add Comment
For work, I had need of running
ping from a Python context in a memory-limited environment. Python was a given, parsing subprocess output is ugly, variable payload-sizes were required, and potentially many hosts would need to be pinged in parallel.
Seems like a great job for fping, but distributing external binaries is kinda tricky with this setup, so I did it in Python. (The other Python PING implementations, all of which seem to be derivatives of python-ping, either didn’t meet my basic needs, had more procedural namespace-bleed than I’d prefer to see, tried to do too much (requiring workaround logic to just do what’s actually needed), didn’t handle errors, or were GPL-licensed, which is unfortunately not something of which this process can make use)
The code, which is public domain, is available after the break.
Uncategorized blog, code, python
For a project at work, it became obvious that I would need to implement some form of partial encryption between hosts in a self-configuring network. Nothing super-extreme, of course, since all traffic will exist within a closed environment; I just need enough protection to prevent casual observers from finding out enough about the protocol to inject malicious packets and provide some simple handshaking between the components of the system.
Blowfish came to mind as a good scheme for handling this (each host and operator can be considered sufficiently secure, so sharing an application-specific pass-phrase via config-file is an acceptable solution), and a small amount of Googling turned up http://ivoras.sharanet.org/projects/blowfish.html (based on http://felipetonello.com/scripts/python/blowfish.txt, though I doubt that’s the original site), which I ended up using as the basis for my implementation. Actually, ‘basis’ isn’t the right word, since I didn’t change any logic at all. Rather, I just replaced the more antiquated data-types and access methods with more modern equivalents, restructured the layout, and sought to bring things more in line with PEP 8. The result being a slightly faster, leaner implementation that’s a bit more readable.
My code, with an identical interface to Ivan Voras’s version, dual-licensed under the GPLv1 and Artistic Licenses, like the original, is reproduced below: